Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Farewell Message to American University of Afghanistan

Dear fellow colleagues and students:

I am writing you to share an important update with all of you. I will not return to Afghanistan, in the upcoming academic year. I am leaving AUAF to fully dedicate my time to become a published creative writer and establish myself as a literary artist in the cultural arts and entertainment industry.

This past summer I spent most of my time to attend my low-residency graduate course in creative writing at the University of Oxford in England and also attended the highly selective Yale Writers’ Conference where I had the esteemed privilege to pitch my novel to major New York City publishing houses. I am excited to inform you that a second book publisher has requested my novel once my manuscript is complete and polished and when I have secured a literary agent. I am confident my novels and adapted films will come to fruition in the near future so that I can share my fictional stories with the world, re-establish a positive image of our beloved homeland, Afghanistan, and elevate the Afghan sense of patriotism and national pride. 

In the future, after I have become a Novelist and Screenwriter, I hope to further pursue my eighth and terminal degree, a doctor of philosophy in International Relations. On a parallel track, I also wish to return back to broadcast journalism and launch my own public affairs talk show that drives the global conversation on major economic, political, and social policy issues.

I wanted to thank each and every one of you who have touched my heart and enlivened my spirit in the most meaningful way. The return to my homeland after 32 years living in exile has been the most enriching and enlightening experience of my life. I have grown so much from each and every one of you and I will forever cherish each precious moment that we shared. We shall always remain friends.

Although I begin my departure now that does not mean we cannot remain in touch.  If I can provide any professional advice, career guidance, or put you in contact with anyone from my vast global network, I would be happy to assist you in any way I can. I remain committed to building Afghanistan’s professional capacity so if there is any way I can guide you to reach your full human potential, please do not hesitate to ask. I am forever at your service. Please feel free to stay in touch with me via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.

I wish all of you an exciting upcoming academic year. May you always be happy and successful in all your professional aspirations. Thank you again for the opportunity to serve you. It truly has been a distinct pleasure to be an Assistant Professor of Political Science at American University of Afghanistan. I have nothing but gratitude for the opportunity to have contributed to a nascent but thriving academic community.

With respect and admiration,

Mir Nematullah Sadat
Twitter: @nematsadat

No comments: