Tuesday, June 24, 2014

My 35th Year Birthday Message to the World (English)

Today is my actual 35th birthday but on official documents it was January 8. After being the first public figure from Afghanistan to come out as a homosexual and the first from my nation to recognize Israel’s right to exist, I have more news to share with the world.
In the past couple years, I’ve desperately tried to reconcile my identity conflict and rescue Afghanistan by reforming Islam. While my efforts have elevated the collective conscience to the vile nature of Islam, I’ve concluded that it’s pointless to rescue a totalitarian religion, which enslaves Muslims and terrorizes infidels.

As a humanitarian, I cannot be affiliated with a set of poisonous beliefs, which hates me for being born gay, insults my intelligence and integrity and is inferior to my noble value to show compassion for all. Furthermore, the Quran and Hadiths don’t need to be salvaged when creation theory is an anecdotal myth while evolution science is a proven fact.
Yes, I’m probably making history again by becoming the first direct descendant of Prophet Muhammad, from patrilineal lineage, to come out as a nonbeliever and declare myself a proud atheist, feminist, gay, humanist and internationalist.

My holy book is the UN Declaration of Human Rights and my mission is to transform Afghanistan into a secular state where every person can forge their own identity, love whomever they wish, worship freely and create the most meaning in life without fear of persecution from Allah, their family, their nation, or radical elements emanating from neighboring countries who wish to keep Afghans forever trapped in turmoil.

My activism is not a struggle for power. I was born into the privileged class (as a Syed Sunni Muslim and Muhammadzai Pashtun) and I could have remained in the closet and exploited my Afghan entitlements and US citizenship to be become filthy rich when I returned to my homeland in 2012. But I rejected corruption, heterosexism, hypocrisy, nepotism and racism and have paid a huge price and risked my life to defend marginalized groups, expose the negligent in power and actively promote equality and the general welfare of society.

In the last year alone, I’ve attracted thousands of Afghans and internationals to join the peace movement in Afghanistan. I anticipate our coalition will only grow manifold in the coming years as Afghans become enlightened about the meaning of individual liberty.

My objective is to steadily dismantle the dysfunctional religious-tribal hierarchy, which has enchained Afghanistan in peril for centuries. The only way for Afghanistan to end the chaos and survive as a unified nation is to evolve into an inclusive meritocracy that crushes all labels, encourages entrepreneurship, nurtures a sustainable economy, promotes science and the arts and rewards individuals based on their contribution to society. As John F. Kennedy famously said, “…ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.”

As an Aristotelian ethicist and civil rights leader, I’m committed to ending Afghanistan’s captivity, restoring our rich cultural heritage and uniting our globally scattered nation. Those who object to my dream still have a chance to stand on the right side of history. But first, you must acknowledge our plight, be willing to change and work towards the commonweal. I’ve demonstrated my courage, integrity and patriotism.

Now it’s your turn to do the same! 


No comments: