Sunday, March 8, 2015

My Women's Day Message

Appreciate life even with all its imperfections. This weekend, I should have traveled to England to take part in the Kellogg College graduation ceremony for my master’s degree in creative writing at the University of Oxford. Due to misfortunes, I was unable to go. When I graduated from Columbia, I attended my school’s graduation but skipped the university wide commencement because I had to return to work at ABC News. And when I graduated from Harvard, I barely had enough money in the bank to afford the red hood every other graduate student wore but me. When I ponder today the fact that billions of girls are denied an education and confined to house arrest where they only cook and clean and rear children and suffer from domestic and societal violence, I realize how lucky I am to be free and liberated to have pursued a world-class education that so many females are denied to even dream of. The greatest meaning I can give to my life is to speak up in defense of the vulnerable even if it puts my own life at risk. I have accomplished much in my life but the one thing I want more than anything else is to stand up for the denied voices and hope that one day that the nations and religions that impose structural and systematic barriers for females due to chauvinism and superstition, will stop their insanity and appreciate our common humanity. Happy Women’s Day to all.

No comments: